GCSE Exam SuccessBack to News
The Deepings School GCSE Press Release August 23 2018
Richard Lord, head teacher, was very pleased with this year’s set of GCSE results. He said: “We are delighted that this set of results confirms that last year’s large gains were not a one-off and that the strategies that we have introduced to improve the progress of students at the Deepings School are sustainable. A huge amount of work and effort has gone into preparing for even more new style examinations this year and the manner in which students and staff have approached this challenge has been truly admirable. I would like to extend my thanks to the staff for giving so freely of their time to go the extra mile to support our students. Praise, however, has to go to the students themselves for their fantastic efforts and the way in which they have handled being the first cohort to sit these new syllabuses and having coped with all the uncertainty that goes along with this. Furthermore, the support of parents and carers along the way has also been vital because we know that this makes a truly positive impact. We wish all of our students the very best for the next steps in their educational journey and, for the majority, that will mean returning to the Deepings Sixth Form Centre in September. We look forward to celebrating with them at their Presentation Evening on Thursday 13th September.”
- Students securing standard 9 – 4 passes (C grade equivalent or above) in both English and Mathematics was 57%
- English results were 74%.
- Mathematics results were 64%.
- Just under a half of all grades were 9 – 5 strong passes.
Alex McKean Forman produced a stellar performance, placing him within the top 1,000 students in the country. Alex scored grade 9 in 8 subjects: English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. He also achieved a grade 8 in Spanish.
There were many other stunning individual performances with a number of students attaining the new gold standard grade 9:
- James Russell (7 x 9, 1 x A*, 1 x 7)
- Ellenor Garwell (4 x 9, 4 x 8, 1 x 7)
- Katie Hand (3 x 9, 4 x 8, 2 x 7)
- Melody King (2 x 9, 4 x 8, 2 x 7, 1 x B)
- Emily Bates (3 x 9, 1 x 8, 4 x 7, 1 x B)
- Thomas Dickinson (2 x 9, 2 x 8, 1 x 7, 3 x 6)
- Zach Jakins (1 x 9, 4 x 8, 3 x 7, 1 x 6)
- Emily McCann (5 x 8, 3 x 7, 1 x 6)
- Lewis Martin (5 x 8, 2 x 7, 1 x A, 1 x 5)
- Claudia Stevenson (1 x 9, 2 x 8, 5 x 7, 1 x 6)
- Lucy Gauntlett (3 x 8, 5 x 7, 1 x 6)
As ever, today's results are only the beginning of the process for many students who are now confirming their plans for the next steps of their education with staff who will be on hand in school to support them over the next few days.
We look forward to the continued support of parents, carers and the wider Deepings community as we continue to make our school the best it can possibly be.